The Ortho-Perio Patient
Clinical Evidence & Therapeutic Guidelines
Author(s)/Editor(s): Eliades, Theodore; Katsaros, Christos (editors)
224 pp; 346 illus;
The Ortho-Perio Patient:Clinical Evidence & Therapeutic Guidelines
Although most orthodontic curricula provide courses on interdisciplinary orthodontic-periodontic treatment, there are still surprisingly few resources on the topic.
Written by leading scholars in the field, this book provides a broad analysis of the topic from both the periodontal and orthodontic perspectives. The authors systematically analyze the scientific and clinical interactions of these specialties by reviewing all the available evidence and using case studies to demonstrate principles discussed in theory.
The result is a text that outlines the treatment fundamentals and shows how to improve the therapeutic outcomes involving orthodontic-periodontic interventions.
Section I: Fundamentals of Oral Physiology
1. Bone Biology and Response to Loading in Adult Orthodontic Patients
2. Microbial Colonization of Teeth and Orthodontic Appliances
3. Changes in the Oral Microbiota During Orthodontic Treatment
4. Pellicle Organization and Plaque Accumulation on Biomaterials
Section II: Periodontal Considerations for the Orthodontic Patient
5. Periodontal Examination of the Orthodontic Patient
6. Etiology and Treatment of Gingival Recessions in Orthodontically Treated Patients
7. Soft Tissue Augmentation at Maxillary and Mandibular Incisors in Orthodontic Patients
8. Periodontal Considerations in Orthodontic and Orthopedic Expansion
9. Surgical Lengthening of the Clinical Crown
10. Management of Impacted Maxillary Canines
Section III: Orthodontic Considerations for the Periodontic Patient
11. Clinical Evidence on the Effect of Orthodontic Treatment on the Periodontal Tissues
12. Orthodontic Mechanics in Patients with Periodontal Disease
13. Orthodontic Treatment in Patients with Severe Periodontal Disease