A Comprehensive Reference and Preview of the Future
Author(s)/Editor(s): Rekow, Dianne
400 pp; 447 illus;
Digital Dentistry:A Comprehensive Reference and Preview of the Future
Digital technologies have broadened and enriched the horizon, impact, and delivery of dentistry for decades, and will continue to do so.
Since an in-depth understanding of innovations and new approaches can be somewhat confusing, this comprehensive reference book aims to describe and demystify the underlying principles of digital technologies. It also examines similarities and differences between available and emerging systems, and demonstrates the value and use of digital approaches in clinical cases.
The book looks at how we acquire, manipulate, and leverage digital data in a host of disciplines as well as the implications of and opportunities for digital dentistry in education. Contributions from authors with differing expertise emphasize the influence of digital technologies across a breadth of disciplines, well beyond restorative dentistry. This reference book could not be a comprehensive resource without addressing the challenges and opportunities intrinsic to both integrating new technologies into dental practice and keeping up with the inevitable fast-paced changes.
Previewing the future, the book explores the potential impact of new innovations on how and what we practice as well as how we think, teach, and pursue knowledge. Energizing our ingenuity and imagination, the book lays the groundwork for creating dentistry’s vibrant and exciting future.
1. Digital Dentistry: Broadening Dentistry’s Horizon and Impact
2. The Breadth and Depth of Digital Dentistry
3. Intraoral Scanners: Enhancing Dentistry’s Image
4. Digital Radiography
5. Electronic Health Records: A Critical Aspect of Digital Dentistry
6. CAD/CAM Systems: A Paradigm Shift in Restoration Design and Production
7. 3D Printing in Dentistry
8. Digital Restoration Design based on Biologic Principles
9. Conventional vs Digital Prosthodontics
10. Caries Detection and Tissue Repair Diagnostics in Digital Dentistry
11. The Application of Surgical Navigation Technology in Head and Neck Surgery
12. Craniomaxillofacial Surgery Design
13. Real-time Microvascular Examination of the Oral Mucosa for the Diagnosis and Monitoring of Oral Diseases
14. Rapid Bacterial Detection during Endodontic Treatment
15. Robocasting (Direct-Ink Writing) of Hydroxy Apatite, β-TCP, and Bioglass for Alloplastic Bone Grafts
16. Transforming Education and Learning with Digital Technologies in Dentistry
17. Digital Technology: Impact on and Opportunities for Dental Education
18. The Unity of Knowledge in Dental Medicine
19. Challenges and Opportunities Intrinsic to Digital Dentistry
20. Keeping up with Change and Changing Technologies
21. Big Data: Storage, Sharing, and Usage
22. Virtual and Mixed Reality in Clinical Application
23. Digital Dentistry: A Future Limited Only by Our Imagination